Belmont Housing Authority provides permanent housing for low- and moderate-income families through two income-based housing programs:

Public Housing program (51 Flowers Court)

All applicants (elderly and non-elderly) can apply for the public housing program. Eligibility and rent is based on income and will be determined at the time an applicant nears the top of the waiting list. You will pay your own utilities and will be provided with a utility allowance. Visit the HUD website for more information on the public housing program.

USDA Rural Development 515(b) program/Section 8 Assistance (55 W Myrtle Street)

Persons over the age of sixty-two (62) can apply for housing at Myrtle Terrace Apartments. Utilities are provided but any excess utility usage is payable by residents.

No. Belmont Housing Authority does not provide emergency or temporary housing of any kind. Emergency housing is only offered through homeless shelters, other community agencies or the Salvation Army. A resource pamphlet titled “Where Are You Sleeping Tonight” has been developed by the City of Gastonia’s Community Development Department and provides information for temporary and/or emergency housing and is available in the lobby of the Flowers Court management office.

Belmont Housing Authority is funded through the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Myrtle Terrace is funded through HUD (Section 8 contract assistance) and Rural Development (mortgage subsidy).

This website provides basic information about our programs and properties

An application and other printed material is available in the lobby of the Flowers Court Apartments.

An application for Myrtle Terrace Apartments is available in the site manager’s office and outside next to the front door.

Site managers can be contacted during normal office hours.

You can download an application from this website and hand deliver or mail to 51 Flowers Courts. If hand delivering, date stamp and drop your application in the drop box in the lobby of the management office.

An application is available in the management office lobby which should be completed, date stamped and placed in the drop box located in the lobby of the management office.

You must visit the Myrtle Terrace management office at 55 W Myrtle Street and speak with the property manager. He/she will give you information about the property, explain the eligibility criteria and assist you in completing an application if you are eligible.

All applications must be time and date stamped to be accepted by BHA. The application is reviewed and entered into our computer system for placement on the Flowers Court waiting list in the order that it was received and ranked according to federal and state mandate.

Assuming that you meet the preliminary requirements, you will be mailed a letter indicating that you have been placed on the waiting list.

This letter does not guarantee that you will be housed, but merely acknowledges that your application has been accepted and placed on the waiting list pending further verification.

BHA does not give out information over the telephone regarding position on the Flowers Court Apartments waiting list. You can use the Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system to find your position on the waiting list.

It is the applicant’s responsibility to notify BHA of any changes in income family composition, employment status, address or phone number change, etc. An Update form is located in the Forms section of this website which can be completed and mailed or placed in the drop box in the management office lobby. A printed copy is also available at the Flowers Court Apartments Management Office lobby. No applicant updates will be taken over the telephone.

Failure to report any changes may cause your application to be purged from the waiting list and will require you to re-apply for housing at Flowers Court. This will delay your possibility of being offered housing or assistance.

Once your name comes to the top of the waiting list you will receive a letter from the property manager to attend a briefing. Here you will present all current verification of income, exclusions, etc. and final eligibility and rent will be determined. You will sign the lease, pay the rent deposit and any prorated rent if applicable and receive your key.

The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program is administered by the Gastonia Housing Authority and provides housing choice vouchers to qualified applicants in Gaston County.

You can obtain information on the Housing Voucher program by visiting the Gastonia Housing Authority website, www.ghanc.org. View the HUD website for more information on the Housing Choice Voucher program.

Your rent, which is referred to as the Total Tenant Payment (TTP) in this program, would be based on your household anticipated gross annual income less deductions, if any.  HUD regulations allow BHA to exclude from annual income the following allowances: $480 for each dependent; $400 for any elderly family, or a person with a disability; and some medical deductions for families headed by an elderly person or a person with disabilities.  Based on your application, a BHA representative will determine if any of the allowable deductions should be subtracted from your annual income.  Annual income is the anticipated total income from all sources received from the family head and spouse, and each additional member of the family 18 years of age or older.

The formula used in determining the TTP is the highest of the following, rounded to the nearest dollar:

  1. 30 percent of the monthly adjusted income. (Monthly Adjusted Income is annual income less deductions allowed by the regulations)
  2. 10 percent of monthly income
  3. Flat rate rent, if applicable
  4. $25.00 minimum rent set by BHA

You live in public housing as long as you comply with the lease and continue to meet eligibility guidelines.  If, at re-examination your family’s income has increased to an amount that would afford you housing in the private market, the HA may determine whether your family should stay in public housing.  You will not be required to move unless you wish to do so.  BHA uses flat rate rents based on the comparable units for our area.  Should your income increase to an amount where your family rent contribution is equal or greater than the flat rate rent for your unit, you would be responsible for the entire rent on the unit until your annual re-examination to select flat rate rent or you give BHA proper notice and vacated the unit.

Applications for admission should be updated whenever changes to address, family composition or employment occur for any person listed on application for admission.  It is  your responsibility to report to us in writing any changes in  your contact information.  The Application Update Form along with any supporting documentation can be hand-delivered, emailed to [email protected] or mailed to:

Belmont Housing Authority
51 Flowers Court
Belmont, NC 28012

In accordance with your lease, changes to family composition and income must be reported within (10) ten days from the occurrence using the Interim Change Form.  This form along with supporting documentation can be hand-delivered or emailed to [email protected] or mailed to:

Belmont Housing Authority
51 Flowers Court
Belmont, NC 28012